This weeks digital imaging task was “Temperature” or more specifically how to represent temperature. There are some fairly obvious subjects that could be selected to represent temperature such as thermometers, ice, snow, fire and so forth. Particularly as we briefly had some light snow over the week this would have been an easy solution. However I decided this would be too clichéd and decided to look to some other solutions.
Doing some internet research I came across some interesting images.
Such as the Annual Mean Temperature Map which use colours to indicate temperature across the globe in a very clear and unambiguous manner. I also came across lots of images of vintage or vintage style temperature gauges, and again they have a classic simplicity generally being designed to display a range of temperatures and an arrow indicating the current temperature.
On some equipment such as the radiator cap on this vintage Ford the concept is simplified still further by simply indicating the normal operating range – most car displays to this day are similar in function i.e. they indicate normal or abnormal temperature range as the precise temperature is less important. And of course modern gauges are conveniently located in the car, on the dashboard and are not a potential health and safety issue for pedestrians should they be unfortunate enough to be hit by a vehicle 🙂
The gauges reminded me that most homes have a temperature gauge / control built into the oven unit and so I decided that a macro image of the switch would be an appropriate representation of temperature and considerably warmer than going outside currently!
I used a 100mm macro lens with camera tripod mounted as I wanted to get a good depth of field and with a small aperture exposure times were up to 4 seconds in natural light and hence the tripod was essential. I then also captured some images of a ceramic hob with halogen rings which are also an indication of heat. The highly reflective hob surface gave some issues so I decided to include a sauce pan to complement the image and provide some context to the setting as well as making a feature of the reflections.
Post processing was straight forward with only minor adjustments in camera raw and some cropping and minor spot removal in photoshop. To provide some variety I tried the images in different formats, namely portrait, landscape and square. My personal favourite is the square image of the switches used as the header to this post.